- Working in Chartreuse -

Saturday, September 25, 2004

If I don't live in Britain I'll go insane

Seriously. I am absolutely ENAMORED of the British Isles. Everything about England, Scotland, Ireland (although it's its own nation for the most part)etc. is so absolutely wonderful, that I can't contain myself. Well, for the first thing, I love the accents. It's something I just can't get over because it's just so attractive. You just want to TALK to ANYBODY who's got it, male or female. Secondly, I love how beautifully lush and green everything is (except for London's wet, dreary, greyness, though I love the city as well). Thirdly, it produced the absolute best authors the world has ever known. I mean, a country that gave birth to J.R.R. Tolkien and C.S. Lewis and Jane Austen and Charlotte Bronte and Charles Dickens and William Wordsworth and the legends of King Arthur and the original fairy stories and the utterly Victorian practice of tea-time and... well, I could go on forever. I simply MUST go there for my semester/year abroad, and for graduate school. It's my dream, and I don't think I could forsake it. Reason why I won't have a boyfriend till grad school anyway: If I'm going to be traveling around, I won't have the chance to really develop friendships that could turn into long-lasting relationships, which won't be long-lasting because I'll be leaving. Ah well, I'll just enjoy myself immensely until then, and go shopping and to poetry meetings and theatre events, and I'll simply kick butt at school, and then I'll settle down afterwards :).

Speaking of Poetry and Theatre: I went on Wednesday evening to the Dead Poets Society for UT and we went to the "secret spot" on the creek, which had this amphitheatre-like atmosphere, ambient light from the moon and street lamps, and yet it was so perfectly secluded, that people walking 20 feet away had no idea of our presence. I may get up the courage to read a poem of mine or of Eavan Boland's next meeting. With regards to theatre, Irvine and I went to see the Actors From the London Stage perform "A Midsummer Night's Dream." There were 5 actors playing all the roles, and it was simply spectacular the way they did the voices and the actions. It was phenomenal. Irvine said he liked it too, which I'm very glad of. We were then thinking of going to the poetry Slam at the 21st st. Co-op, which didn't seem so bad, until he pointed out that it was the Frat district, and this guy came out holding something in a plastic cup, which did not seem like coffee. I'm sorry, I have issues with being around people I don't know who are drinking. They scare me, and I don't know how to act. I don't really care if people drink, it's just a turnoff to me, and I don't tend to take people who go get drunk on weekends (or anytime, for that matter) seriously. There's something about not remembering the previous night's events, making a fool of oneself, and vomiting (and any combination thereof) that really makes me look down on people. They don't strike me as people I can take seriously and really feel comfortable around. I don't care about a drink or two every so often--God knows I've had a pint and a drink in my life, (fewer than 5, I can assure you though, and all interspersed)-- but the whole dynamic of drinking to get drunk and living for beer is really ridiculous and stupid. I don't care if it sounds pretentious and snobby, but I'd rather sit and chat over coffee or tea than go to a party and get snoggered and wasted. The way I see it, there are more important things.

Needless to say, we didn't stay, and Irvine was a perfect gentleman and walked with me over to Jester, so I wouldn't have to walk through scary areas of campus all alone. I feel safer with a friend with me. Anyway, I hope I can get through tonight without using up all my bandwidth for the week, and I'll be doing some hardcore studying tomorrow and Sunday, because the week from hell is growing steadily nearer. Luckily, I got my paper done early, therefore I only have 3 exams to worry about.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home