- Working in Chartreuse -

Saturday, September 18, 2004

1970's Style:

I've been looking through books at the libraries so that I can learn new techniques to sew and knit and crochet my own clothing and accessories. (Un)Fortunately, all the books are from the 1970's, meaning the absolute WEIRDEST combinations of color, style, and *shudder* paisley. I actually do think some of the styles are pretty and classy, just in a different type fabric and color. Only in the 70's did they pair salmon pink, "chocolate" brown, and gold and a burnt orange in a sweater. Only in the 70's did wearing tweedy pants in a wretched shade of brown or tan with a disgusting paisley shirt (which, for all you men out there, does not go with ANYTHING). So indeed, all the do-it-yourself knitting books are either from the 90's and require fashions that are very definitely NOT my style (flared short-sleeve dresses in floral print... gross!), whereas although the 70's ones have absolutely disgusting color combinations and fabric selections, some of the raw stylistic ideas are actually conceivable.
I realized that some of the styles I actually like... the whole "classic preppy" look for guys is very very attractive: the navy blue v-neck pullover sweater, white long sleeve button shirt, and khakis with a tie sorta loosed up. I don't like the "modern prep" look that places like Abercrombie were trying to put out: their brand-flaunting Abercrombie shirts, with khaki cargo shorts, a baseball cap and flip-flops. I don't mind the shorts or the hat, but maybe a plain T-shirt, or a band T-shirt or hell, even a POLO shirt... (i likey those :D ) and sneakers... definitely sneakers... or Birkenstocks... just not flip-flops. Whoa, I just noticed I did a huge over-abundance of ellipses there. Anyways, slacks and jeans are cool, and black T-shirts with khakis are fine, and I don't particularly mind the black gaming/witty saying T-shirts with jeans, provided my parents don't see it on anyone I bring home. (They think it looks trashy, but hell, I dress "trashy" according to them when I'm just trying to be comfy).

On another note, one tradition I wish still prevailed is the university uniform of black robes for classwear. Oxford requires their students to wear it, if only during exams, but it all seems very Harry Potter-esque. I like it.

Well friends, I am going to begin my reading spree of that novel and study my little heart out today, so I can relax and do nothing productive tomorrow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home