- Working in Chartreuse -

Tuesday, March 22, 2005

Getting Back into the Swing of Things

Oh my god. I just wrote a freaking long post and it got deleted! :(

Well, the re-write will probably not be nearly as witty nor extensive, but let's see how it goes. To start off with, right now I'm feeling both ecstatic and depressed, though definitely more of the former at this point in time. "Why depressed?" you ask? Well, because Sunday and yesterday flat out wore me out. Let me explain.

On Sunday, I assumed I was going to fly out of Harlingen at 3:00 PM to Austin. That's the flight my parents usually book for me when I fly home and back, and since I'd lost my itinerary and confirmation number, I assumed that would be the flight I was supposed to take. Well, we're driving to the airport, and my mom tells me to call Southwest to make sure I'm confirmed for the flight. Well, it turns out that the flight I was scheduled for left at 10:40 that morning. So I freak out, but once we get to the airport I check my bag and get on the standby list. There are four places available for standby passengers. I'm the fifth person. The lady at the ticket counter suggests I get on standby for the first flight to Austin the next day: at 6:50 in the morning. Alright. However, since I'm a standby passenger, that means I need to get to the airport by 5 in the morning to guarantee that I'll make it on the plane, since the flight wasn't direct to Austin (stopover in Houston) and the Harlingen-Houston leg of the flight was overbooked. I get up at 4 in the morning, and get my ticket just fine. I make it to Houston and scurry to get on the standby list for the connecting flight to Austin at 9:50. However, just as I get to the ticket counter, the 7:50 flight to Austin is boarding. The lady at the counter asks me if I want to make it earlier, and I say "Sure!" I make it to Austin by 9 AM, JUST miss the Airport flyer bus back to campus, and have to wait another 20 minutes for it. Oh well. By now I'm pretty sure I'm not going to make my morning classes, but I may make it to my Psych class at 10 if I hurredly drop off my things and scurry across campus to class. Just as I'm exiting the bus, not even 30 feet away from my dorm, it starts POURING rain. I get drenched, and get to my room to take a shower. There's no hot water. At best, it could be called "tepid." Normally I probably wouldn't mind, since I'm not a superhot shower sort of person, but when you're drenched with cold rain, you want something HOT HOT HOT. Oh well. So I miss class, but make it to lunch at Jester 2nd floor with Gabe (my sweetie).

The rest of the day was pretty much uneventful, except that I went out to a sushi dinner with my Iranian friend Michael. Afterwards, I'm plumb tuckered out, ready to go to bed, but I decide to get online to check my e-mail. Gabe IM's me, and asks me if I want to install Warcraft III. I say sure. He begins giving me the instructions over AIM, but I tell him to just come over to my room since my roommate hadn't returned yet. So we install Warcraft, he teaches me how to play a little bit, and yeah ^_^ (That's the part that I'm ecstatic about).

I make it to bed by 10, setting my alarm clock for 8, figuring that with 10 hours of sleep I should be more than ready for my 9:30 AM class. Sure as shootin', the alarm rings at 8, I hit some buttons to make it shut up, figuring it'll ring again in 10 minutes, and get back in bed. I wake up at 10:30 this morning, exclaim "OH SHIT!" but then realize that there's no way I can walk into a class that ends in 15 minutes. So I take my time getting ready and meet Laura for lunch. Let me just say that unless it's something beyond my control (or a really big reason or something) I NEVER EVER miss class. It's a cardinal sin in my book. If it's one thing my parents instilled in me from childhood, it was that you NEVER miss school unless there's a fever or vomit involved. Even then they make you go to school, and if you still feel sick then they go and pick you up. I hate missing class because I always get the feeling that I'm missing something important by not going (and that's usually the case.... huge announcements are made the day I'm not there).

But I felt better after lunch with Laura, and then we just hung around in my room (my roommate hasn't come back yet) watching famous movies done in 30 seconds and re-enacted by bunnies, and some Redneck Surfing till she had to go to class. And now, this is the second time I've written this post, and do NOT have time to re-write it before my class at 2:00. However, I will go and enjoy the beautiful day it is outside.

I hope your day improves like mine did :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home