- Working in Chartreuse -

Sunday, February 27, 2005

Oy Gavalt!

To be in a state of eighteenth century propriety is quite an astonishing and interesting state to be in, I assure you. However, with both my English classes occupying my time in novels concerning propriety and virtue in the eighteenth century, it's hard to escape the traditionalist mentality that permeates the reading of them. The reason I bring this up is because until just a few moments ago, I was reading Francis Burney's "Evelina." There are so many despicable "gentlemen" pining and snivelling for Evelina's attention, it's just sick. And the girl's family! They're horribly ill-bred embarassing people. Even if it's unjust, the class system existed for a reason. Uncouth, uncivil, uneducated morons were shunned for a reason by the upper classes. However, those who weren't uncouth, uncivil and uneducated morons but were in the same social class often were stuck there without hope of moving up into better society, so perhaps it's a good thing that class isn't so pronounced now after all.
I have so much reading, laundry, and reading to do that I'm making myself sick just thinking about it. But now I've definitely decided that I need to get to work and stop being lazy, so that I can do well in school and go to grad school. Aren't my ambitions exciting, moving, and above all, AMAZING? I didn't think so. But it's something.

What really gets to me is the fact that my life might be 1/4 over. I mean, unless I live to be 100, that mark may have already passed! And now is the time that is most fun! Oh, if only the fact of leaving this world wasn't so depressing. And now, in true spirit of dejection and dispiritedness, I will go do my laundry and read about communication between people from one of the most boring textbooks ever written. This is coming from someone who *ahem* borrowed and never bothered to return various literature and history textbooks because in her words, they are "fascinating gems of knowledge I can't wait to sit down and enjoy."

2 Comments:

  • At 5:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Annemarie,

    As a result of reading your blog "Oy Gavalt!", I think you will discover my site on General Educational Development a great help.

    We have over 200 study prep guides and aids to help you sail through your exams without weeks and months of endless studying. Pay us a visit now ... you will be amazed at how much help is available for passing tests!

    Best Regards
    Emily

     
  • At 1:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey Annemarie,

    Your blog "Oy Gavalt!", leads me to believe you will find my information on Dental Assisting National Board to be very beneficial.

    We have many hundreds of study prep guides and aids to help you pass your exams without weeks and months of endless studying. Come over now and have a look for yourself ... you have nothing to loose but everything to gain!

    Best Wishes
    Emily

     

Post a Comment

<< Home