- Working in Chartreuse -

Monday, February 21, 2005

If I could, I surely would...

[mood: procrastinatory}
[music: Simon and Garfunkel - El Condor Pasa (If I Could) & America]

Note that now is a time I should be doing the mountains of reading that cast their looming shadow over my head, but as I choose to ignore it and wait until later tonight and then complain tomorrow that I'm lacking sleep, be grateful that I'm warning you.

Thoughts I've Pondered Today:

* Why is it that when you like someone and want to see them, you never happen to run into them? Note that when you hate someone and want to avoid them at all possible costs, there's no possible way to avoid them.

* How the hell does one (female, for the most part) understand the male brain?

* Whether it would be so bad to drop out of college and live with my parents for another 15 years and simply knit and craft and sew.

* The above probably would not go down well with said parents. Though the crafty part definitely goes down well with me.

* The Greek/Classical thought that one achieves immortality if one is remembered throughout the ages. How many millions who were known in their time or even not so well-known have had their ageless existances fade with the passing of the years? I don't want to be forgotten, but it is one of thos things that is inevitable for one such as myself.

* Maybe living alone and being a crazy cat-woman isn't such a bad idea considering the alternatives of an old-maid existance.

* What summer plans do I want to consider? I'm thinking the North of Spain, like Santiago de Compostela because Galicia is by far one of my favorite places. Probably because it reminds me of England. And the seafood is to die for. Yes, it's that good.

* I want to create a facebook group for people who are average in every way except one and proud of it. I'm average in height, weight, intelligence, shoe size, beauty, and virtually everything else. My one claim to non-averageness is that I'm half-Spanish. Yup, that's it.

* I read this article (rather, transcript) of a speech given by the President of Harvard as to why there are fewer women in the "hardcore sciences" like Physics and Engineering and stuff. It's not that there are fewer opportunities for women in those fields, it's just that the amount of time needed is more than most women are willing to invest (because they want to have families) and the fact that it is in the nature of women to be more nurturing/emotional on average. That's not to say that I don't know girls who seriously rock in Math and Sciences. There are just fewer of them than guys, because ON AVERAGE most girls prefer the humanities to mathematics and science. That's not to say that the reverse isn't true for guys either. There are some guys who are killer in the Humanities, but give them a physics equation and they're at a loss. It's not discrimination, it's not "socialization" of girls and boys into specific gender roles, although that definitely plays a part. Genetics plays a part in gender roles. You'd be stupid not to believe it.

* I need to ask myself questions regarding my beliefs and where I stand on certain issues. Not because of what my parents tell me or what my professors tell me, but what I really think. I need a month of pure unadultered rest and relaxation to make a dent in the tangled confused knot that lurks within my brain.

I hope you all ponder too.

For those of you who haven't read my away message, I leave you with THIS wonderful Map of Humanity. Here are close-ups. Go on and look... you may be surprised at how damn cool it is.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home