- Working in Chartreuse -

Saturday, January 29, 2005

On procrastination and the effects of having too much homework....

I find that when I have excessive amounts of homework (which has accumulated mostly due to my procrastination and laziness) I turn to organization. "Oh, my floor needs sweeping? What a coincidence! Psychology can wait." "Really, my underwear drawer could use some reorganizing? Sure! No problem." I realized that after I had meticulously folded every shirt in my drawer, sorted them according to style and color, and then proceeded to do the same in my closet that I have some chronic aversion to doing large amounts of homework until the pressure is insanely high and I can no longer take it. This, I know is a bad thing. But in all honesty, there are things I would much rather be doing: knitting, reading for my English classes, watching documentaries, and other things. I just find reading for the "basics" courses I have to take rather tedious. Take nutrition, for example. I like the class because of the practicality of the things I'm learning. However, the sheer amount of terminology, inherent math and science skills required makes me shake and break out into a cold sweat. Why am I taking it? It's a science that (I assumed) a non-scientific mind like mine can understand, and I need to have 4 different science credits under my belt to graduate. However, give me an essay on how the language of William Wordsworth evokes feelings of political unrest or how it reveals his inner turmoils with women, and I can go on forever.

I guess we just latch onto the things we like and we're good at. Therefore, immersing myself in a subject such as psychology is more difficult than analyzing the sonnets of Charlotte Smith. But it must be done, and instead of wasting time pondering the complexity of my aversion to lots of tedious technical reading, I should just do it. Perhaps I'll pursue history as well as English, so that I have double the amount of reading I enjoy doing!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home