- Working in Chartreuse -

Saturday, November 20, 2004

Yarn-searching adventures

Today began at noon when I woke up. It was raining heavily and I was happy. Around 3, Aisa called me (I went to high school with her, and she's interested in UT). We met up and then went out to lunch at Slices and Ices on the Drag. Afterwards, I went to Barnes and Noble and bought "Stitch 'n Bitch Nation" because I really liked the first one. Then I decided that I wanted to pursue and find the Yarn Store that is in Austin and close to campus (or so I thought). Here is the map that Mapquest gave me. The lavender color is the UT campus. I figure: walking distance. So I go, walk down, and realize that they gave me the address to 1701 NORTH Congress street. Ok, no problem, it's probably on the other side of the Capitol. I walk to the other side, and the numbers get smaller, but not at a very good rate. I call 411 to ask when they close, and how exactly to get to the place from 7th street. The lady tells me they close at 6, and that they're located on SOUTH Congress, which is on the other side of the river. I have about 15 mins till the store closes, so I hail a cab, who gets a little antsy that we're going to be going to the OTHER side of the river. But he does it. We get there, and I realize... hmm... this is NOT walking distance... something like 4 or 5 miles. The cabby leaves, taking with him my remaining cash, and I go into the Yarn Store. I am happy, I am complete. They don't have "Limeade:" the color I wanted, but they have a really nice regular green and a funky little turquoise called "Aztec Blue." I like. It was an experience on the level of losing my fiber and yarn virginity. No acrylic Red Heart yarn to scratch its way into my sanity... just beautiful wool, mohair, alpaca and soft soft SOFT angora. I try to take it all in, thinking of possibilities of getting money to BUY THE LOT!!!!! It was all so beautiful! I make my purchase of 3 wool/mohair blend skeins for the scarf and hat I've been planning. I leave the store and realize there's no way I'm going to get home, in the rain, in the dark, and 5 miles of walking in downtown Austin. It's a nice downtown, but it's a LOOOONG way away from campus, and there are seedy individuals lurking about (which is why I hardly ever ride the city buses apart from the one to the airport). So I call Irvine. I am on the verge of tears, and I ask him if he could please, possibly pull me out of my predicament. It takes him about 12 minutes of mucking around on Mapquest to figure out that you have to put the address in as 1701 Congress Ave South, not 1701 S. Congress. Even Yahoo couldn't figure it out. But he and John rescued me! I LOVE THEM AND THEIR CHIVALRY! After many thanks and promises of cheesecake on my part, John dropped Irvine and I off at Dobie where we had a great Japanese dinner. After that, he walked me back to my dorm (chivalry at it's best, see?) and I passed along my copy of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
Here I sit, reading my newly acquired copies of Martha Stewart Living, Interweave Knits, Vogue Knitting and wondering, "WHY THE HELL HAVEN'T I DISCOVERED REAL FIBER?" So it's like sex: once you start you can't stop. Hahaha :) I guess it didn't take me too long to become a real yarn snob, yeah?

On another note, Check out this pasttime. I hate peeps.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home