- Working in Chartreuse -

Friday, November 19, 2004

The Future

(I wrote this on the 15th, and after a little editing, decided to post. I read someone's blog and then twisted the stuff she said to fit my own life and stuff. A lot is fiction, some is fact. It is NOT directed at any particular person, mind you.)

Tell me then, what you expected
That I wouldn’t fall in love with you?
That the romance you tried so hard
To resist finally got you in the end?
Yet you didn’t think it seemly for me to love you as I did
Because I wasn’t athletic or anything
And although we shared the same passion for Tolkien
That couldn’t forgive what you thought to be my excessive hyperactivity
Which in psychology is attributed to nervousness
And social anxiety
But if I told you that, you’d laugh
Or think I needed Prozac
Or find me petty because you’d think I told you only for attention
There’s nothing like being misunderstood, is there?
After I gave up on you and found love somewhere else,
All of a sudden you find me attractive?
All of a sudden I’m the only girl for you and you want me baby?

But wasn’t it you who gave me blank stares when I told you I knit,
And philosophized, and wanted to live all around the world?
“Sounds to me that you won’t have much romance, living everywhere,” you said
Meaning that you wouldn’t want to be the one with me
Because your ambitions included filling your dad’s position
As CEO of god knows what corporation
But they excluded me
And I could’ve dealt with that, really I could’ve
But you didn’t love me until you couldn’t have me

And now I’ll get on my flight to Dublin or Rome or Moscow
Or Prague or Berlin or Paris or London or Warsaw or Madrid
And you can go and find a girl
who’ll be bored with you as soon as you talk politics
And you won’t be able to talk about elves or hobbits
because she won’t get it... she never did
With her Greek letters and blond hair
and Barbie plastic breasts and platform sandals
Because the girl in high school
who never looked twice at you is now your wife
And the girl who followed you to college
and never ceased to look at youis on the other side of the world
Trying to console a broken heart with Swiss chocolate
and English accents and Irish music
But all the while
She never stopped loving you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home