- Working in Chartreuse -

Friday, November 05, 2004

An Untitled Poem I Wrote 2 days ago:

Note: This poem was not written for any particular person, but rather reflects an idea that wandered through my head and the infinite "what if's?" that inevitably fill my mind at random moments.

Untitled

Let us go then, you and I,
And transform our identities
To go undercover for a change
And tease the passersby

You'd wear a wretched nylon suit
That you picked up from Goodwill
I'd wear a 1950's dress
And a pair of knee-high boots

We'd sit on a bench like that over there
and speak in obnoxious British accents
reading poetry to one another
and although we'd look funny, I wouldn't care

You'd have those coke-bottle glasses
and you'd place them on my nose
I'd tie my pink hair ribbon around your arm
So they'd think you had a weird series of rashes

Some old ladies would pass us
and look awkwardly, then shake their heads
Ashamed of our impropriety
And you'd mock them in your Eliotian voice

Let us go then, you and I
and become pop stars
legends in the making
And we'd be happy, though I don't know why

Singing our secrets in seedy karaoke bars
Like the way I love you and
the way you make love to me
And why Kazakhstan is so much nicer than here

The lovers in the corner might look up
and wonder at the un-romantic look of us
Like we just got off our honeymoon tour bus
But one we shared with 27 elderly couples

I should very much like to take you with me
when I become the person I've always wanted
A sophisticated savant,
an intelligent interesting... something.

But you wouldn't follow, like I knew you would
You'd prefer to stay here on your couch
playing videogames until your thumbs go sore
And I've watched you all afternoon

Because we can't go, then, you and I
And we are rooted to the same spot
Like trees, or spray paint
Glued to where we can't escape

And though I might have become the wind
Or merely a leaf riding on its back
You were the good, hard, solid earth
And you wouldn't budge

And that is why I can never change who I am
Or who you are
And why I love you
And that is why we can't go

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home